Book Club Genres by Month 2018:
January – Anything Goes’
- Anything, you want to read. ANYTHING!
February – Romance
- Novels of this type of genre fiction place their primary focus on the relationship and romantic love
March – Historical Fiction/Nonfiction
- Historical fiction is a literary genre in which the plot takes place in a setting located in the past. In historical fiction, the time period is an important part of the setting and often of the story itself. Historical fiction may include fictional characters, well-known historical figures or a mixture of the two.
April – Fantasy
- Fantasy is a genre of fiction set in a fictional universe, often, but not always, without any locations, events, or people referencing the real world. Its roots are in oral traditions, which then developed into literature and drama
- A comic novel is usually a work of fiction in which the writer seeks to amuse the reader, sometimes with subtlety and as part of a carefully woven narrative, sometimes above all other considerations.
June – New Adult
- New Adult fiction bridges the gap between Young Adult and Adult genres. It typically features protagonists between the ages of 18 and 25 with the cap at 30ish.
July – Science Fiction
- A broad genre of fiction that often involves speculations based on current or future science or technology. Science fiction is found in books, art, television, films, games, theater, and other media.
August – Paranormal
- Paranormal books involve unusual experiences that lack a scientific explanation. This can include paranormal romance, vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, time travel, fantastical beings and psychic beings.
September – Suspense
- Suspense is a feeling of uncertainty and anxiety about the outcome of certain actions, most often referring to an audience’s perceptions in a dramatic work. Suspense may operate in any situation where there is a lead up to a big event or dramatic moment, with tension being a primary emotion felt as part of the situation
October – Mystery/Thriller
- Thrillers are characterized by fast pacing, frequent action, and resourceful heroes who must thwart the plans of more-powerful and better-equipped villains. Mystery fiction is a genre of fiction usually involving a mysterious death or a crime to be solved
November – Anything Contemporary
- Contemporary literature is literature with its setting generally after World War II.
December – Choice Awards!